Results driven senior level administrator with diverse experience in the management of people and resources. Demonstrated ability to produce positive outcomes in fiscal and personnel management, public relations, planning and project administration. Recognized specialist in contingency planning and disaster recovery. Proven track record of developing strong working relationships through all levels of the organization to meet desired goals.
Areas of Expertise Include:
- Strategic & Organizational Planning
- Team Building & Coaching
- Capital Planning & Budget Attainment
- Training & Development
- Contingency Planning and Crisis Management
- HR from Recruitment through Retirement
- Facility Planning & Project Oversight
- Space Planning and Use
University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston June 2015 – Present
Assistant Director – Center for Laboratory Animal Medicine and Care
Communications and Emergency Products Jan 2015 – May 2015
Business Development Manager
Consultation and sales of two-way voice communications, data transmission and other service and equipment used to support business, government and public safety.
JCD CONSULTING Nov 2012 – Present
Providing management and consultative services to the biomedical community for contingency
planning and crisis management, strategic and organizational planning and facility planning.
UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS MEDICAL BRANCH, Galveston, TX 1997 – Nov 2012
Associate Director – Animal Resources Center (2003-Nov 2012)
Known for ability to evaluate situations then move decisively. Managed the administrative and husbandry functions with 45 technicians, 2 administrative coordinators and 2 managers successfully providing support for the UTMB research community. Produced annual space surveys detailing facility use for NIH to use in determining grant indirect costs. Developed and implemented the annual contingency plan and directed annual preparations for hurricane season.
- Built an effective and resilient team through recruitment, mentoring and coaching
- Successfully spearheaded staff efforts to meet operational objectives before, during and after Hurricane Ike
- Effectively recruited and retained staff in a highly competitive and specialized workplace by establishing desirable career paths
- Developed & administered a $5.2M budget including reporting and monitoring, HR functions of the department, materials acquisition, logistics, and day to day animal care
- Produced accurate budget forecasts (+/- 3%) within a volatile and unpredictable marketplace
- Designed facilities & drove the projects to achieve facilities that are efficient, effective and comply with modern research requirements, resulting in state of the art facilities including monitoring systems providing additional safeguards during utility outages or fluctuations
- Developed contingency plans that have been adopted by others in crisis management
- Implemented plans that resulted in 30% increase in our facility users’ satisfaction during the 2012 fiscal year
- Contributed as an active member of the UTMB “Green Team” promoting recycling and energy conservation resulting in UTMB recycling 30% of its total municipal waste
Financial Manager/LAN Administrator – Animal Resources Center (1997-2003)
Expertise in management used to lead the business functions during a period of building and rapid growth. Quickly established a reputation as a go-to person with the ability to work at all levels of the organization. Provided stability during time of leadership transition.
- Developed and managed annual budget exceeding $2.1M. Developed various databases and spreadsheet systems for monitoring and reporting budget activity
- Managed all business functions of the department including personnel, purchasing and billing
• Produced the annual animal research space survey and emergency plan
- Provided in-house consulting on personnel issues to other Leadership Team members
- Provided department with hands-on NT and Netware server support.assistance with various software applications including Windows 95,98, NT, Windows Office 97 and Outlook 98. Training on Microsoft NT
- Initiated, designed and implemented department web pages to serve the UTMB research community
- Member UTMB Energy Conservation Task Force
UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS HEALTH SCIENCE CENTER AT HOUSTON, Houston, TX 1989-1997
Director, Department of Neurology (1991 – 1997)
Planned, implemented, and managed annual budgets exceeding $4.5M composed of state appropriations, patient care receipts, contract and grant income, and endowments. Created and distributed various management, planning and operational reports.
- Directed operations for a staff of 70 faculty, professional, administrative, clerical and research personnel with recruitment, selection, evaluations, timekeeping, payroll, counseling and disciplinary actions including terminations
- Improved billing efficiency netting $1.4M in outpatient and inpatient billed procedures
- Managed departmental facilities including office, laboratory and clinical space
- Effectively coordinated Neurology outpatient clinic and department office renovations to improve efficiency
Director of Management Operations (1989-1991)
Developed and managed annual budget of $1.5M, composed of locally generated per diem receipts, contract income, and state appropriations. Supported a staff of 25, including faculty veterinarians, animal caretakers, clerical and administrative personnel with responsibility for all aspects of personnel management. Generated technical specifications for food and bedding contracts, vehicles and equipment, and negotiated contracts for service and supplies.
- Guided development of new office procedures to improve efficiency
- Coordinated implementation of new computer systems for department. Tutored office staff in new procedures and systems
- Developed successful business plan for Wynn Unit breeding facility
Bachelor of Science, Park Administration
TEXAS A&M UNIVERSITY, College Station, TX
Completed numerous programs and training sessions in subjects ranging from employment law to incident command.
Certified Manager of Animal Resources (CMAR)
American Association for Laboratory Animal Science Member AALAS
- Past Member – Biosafety Specialist Implementation Subcommittee
- Past Member – Biosafety Specialization Feasibility Subcommittee
- Past Member – Ad-Hoc Committee on Distance Learning
- Graduate of AALAS Leadership Academy
Texas Branch American Association for Laboratory Animal Science
- Member TBAALAS
- Past President and former Board Member
- Local arrangements Chairperson for Texas/Louisiana Branch Meeting 2003/2008
- Past Chair – Long Range Planning
- Consultant to TBAALAS webmaster
Association of Contingency Planners
- Member ACP
- Member South Texas ACP
Business Continuity Institute, Affiliate member
PIMA Medical Institute – Houston, – Member – Advisory Board for Veterinary Assistant Program
Blueridge Fire Department Endowment, Past President and former Board member
Goodwin, B and Donaho, J*. Tropical Storm and Hurricane Recovery and Preparedness Strategies. J. ILAR 51:104-119, 2010.
Donaho, J. Building the Human Component into Contingency Plans. Lab Anim (NY). 2013 Dec 19;43(1):27-32. doi: 10.1038/laban.423.